The Longji terrace, also known as Longsheng Rice Terraces are located in Longsheng County, some 100 km (2 hr drive) from Guilin, Guangxi, China. The most popular among Longji terraces are Ping An Rice Terrace and Jinkeng Rice Terrace.
Longji Terraced Rice Fields received their name because the rice terraces resemble a dragon's scales, while the summit of the mountain range looks like the backbone of the dragon. One standing on the top of the mountain can see the dragon's backbone twisting off into the distance. In an early morning, when the weather is fine, the sunrise on the summit of Longji Rice Terraces is magnificent.
Longji terraces were mostly built during the Ming Dynasty, some 500 years ago. The terraces are built along the slope winding from the riverside up to the mountain top, the highest part being 880 meter in elevation while the lowest part is 380 meter. The coiling line that starts from the mountain foot up to the mountain top divides the mountain into layers of water glittering in the sun in spring, layers of green rice shoots in summer, layers of golden rice in fall, and layers of silvery frost in winter.
The best time to visit Longji terrace (Longsheng Terrace) is in early June. At this time, water is pumped over the rice paddies and young plants are transferred to the main terraces.
And its astounding view, Longji is likewise the range to visit to experience Chinas ethnic minorities' way of life. The Zhuang and the Yao nationalities live here, however fundamentally it is the Zhuang individuals. The ladies dress in one of a kind and beautiful outfits, singing and moving. Visitors additionally can join in with them to appreciate the first Zhuang life and culture, and even stay with neighborhood families getting a charge out of both the Longji tea and the Longji wine.
• By through bus at the parking area of the Guilin Railway Station.
Ticket Fare: around CNY 50
Duration: 2.5 hours
• By regular bus at Guilin Qintan Bus Station.
Ticket Fare: around CNY 16-18.
Duration: more than 2 hours
Passengers can get off at the fork leading to the Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces and then take the tourism bus to Dazhai Yao Village Rice Terraces. The bus ticket fare is about CNY 7.
• By through bus at Guilin Qintan Bus Station.
Ticket Fare: about CNY 27.
Duration: 2 hours.
Arriving at at Longsheng Bus Station, passengers need to change the tourism bus to Dazhai Yao Village Rice Terraces. The ticket fare is CNY 9.
Best Time to Visit
• From mid-April to mid-June the fields are well-watered and you can see water glittering in the sun in spring.
• From July to mid-September it is the growing period for the grain seedlings. You will see green and vigor everywhere.
• From September to early October, the rice on the fields is ripe; you will see layers of carpets of golden yellow. Farmers can be seen harvesting in the fields from around October 1st to 15th.
• You will see nothing more than the plain scenery of brown empty fields (and maybe snow) from October 15th to April.
|Admission Fee:||CNY 80 covering Ping'an Zhuang Village and Dazhai Yao Village Rice Terraces
Children below 1.4 meters are free of charge.
|Opening Hours:||08:30 - 17:30|
|Best Time to Visit:||May, June, September and October, especially April 15 to 30, and August 15 to 31 on Chinese lunar calendar|
Recommend Tour: 1 Day Longsheng Rice Terrace Tour from Guilin